Dr. Farahani and her team would love to welcome you to the practice!
With extensive knowledge of the connections between the mouth and body, our clinicians are adept at finding the source of dental problems instead of just treating symptoms. Our goal is to prevent dental disease instead of waiting for a problem and then trying to fix it.
Dr. Farahani is very active in continuing education courses, taking several per month. Dr. Farahani is currently working towards Fellowship with the Academy of General Dentistry. She doesn’t think of these courses as requirements for her license, but rather as opportunities to provide better care for you.
Outside of the office, Dr. Farahani believes in donating time to help others. Most recently, she has been donating her time with GirlForward here in Austin. GirlForward is a non-profit that provides mentorship services and cultural experiences for newly arrived refugee girls. Most girls in the program are high school age. Girls come from all over the world but most often from the Middle East, Burma (Myanmar) or DR Congo. Dr. Farahani mentored a girl last year who was from Afghanistan and survived violence from the Taliban.
GirlForward seeks to help bridge the gulf between their past experiences and their current world by pairing each girl with a woman who can provide help with the transition. Dr. Farahani believes that America can provide opportunity for dreams to come true, but that it is our responsibility to help level the playing field for those who are in need of help.
Read on to learn more about Dr. Farahani and her team.
Dr. Matthew Steinberg
Dr. Steinberg graduated in the top 10% of his dental school class and that was just the beginning of his many paths of national recognition and accomplishment. He has been awarded Distinguished Fellowships in the Academy of General Dentistry, the International College of Dentists and the American College of Dentists, a distinction that only 5% of dentists achieve. He has also been nominated three times by his peers for the honor of “Texas Dentist of the Year” awarded by the Texas Academy of General Dentistry. Dr. Steinberg has been on the teaching faculty of internationally recognized Pankey Institute, the premier center for post graduate dentist education in restorative, TMJ and cosmetic procedures.
- Undergraduate Education – The University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Professional Post Graduate Education – St. Louis University School of Dentistry, Accelerated Program
- Two Year General Rotating Residency Program, US Army, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio.
Hobbies and Interests
- Enjoying Great Foods and Wine including Cooking with special interest in Nutrition and Wellness
- Still and Video Digital Photography, Tennis and Jogging
- American Dental Association, Texas Dental Association, Capital Area Dental Society
- Academy of General Dentistry, Texas Academy of General Dentistry
- American Academy of Dental Practice Administration
- American Academy of Oral Systemic Health
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- International College of Dentists, American College of Dentists
Professional Teaching, Accomplishments and Awards
- Teaching Faculty, The Pankey Institute for Advanced Dental Education, Key Biscayne, Florida / 1986-Present.
- Four Time Nominee for Texas Academy of General Dentistry, Texas Dentist of the Year / 1987, 1992, 2004, 2007
- President, Texas Academy of Dental Practice Administration / 1991-1993
- Inducted into Fellowship, Academy of General Dentistry/ 1993
- President, Texas Academy of General Dentistry/ 1994-1995
- Inducted into Fellowship, International College of Dentists, 1997 (10% of all dentists are selected)
- Inducted into Fellowship, American College of Dentists, 2000 (5% of all dentists are selected)
- Chosen to be on the Advisory Board and Key Leadership Opinion Leader / Solace LifeSciences–NuCalm 2013
- Chosen to be a Foundation Advisor for The Pankey Institute for Advanced Dental Education / 2003-Present
- Chosen to be an Administrator for SmileSource LLC – A national organization promoting independent practice
- President and Co-Founder, The American Center for Dental Professionals, LLC – A Dental Assistant Training Program
- President and Co-Founder, Healthy Sleep Texas, LLC
- President, Opsis Advisory Consulting Group, LLC
- Clinician and Speaker, HealthySleepTexas, LLC – Dental Sleep Medicine Programs for the public and professionals
- President, Central Texas Academy of General Dentistry / 1987
- Appointed, Council on Annual Meetings and Conferences, Academy of General Dentistry/ 1994-2000
- Appointed, Council on Annual Sessions, Texas Dental Association, 2000-2005 / General Chairman 2004
- Program Chairman, American Academy of Dental Practice Administration / 2010 Annual Meeting
- First General Chairman, Texas Academy of General Dentistry Annual Conference / 1991
- General Chairman, Texas Academy of General Dentistry Annual Conference / 2002
- General Chairman, Texas Academy of General Dentistry Annual Conference / 2013
- Texas Academy of General Dentistry, Jack T. Clark Foundation for Oral Cancer Education, President Elect / 2013-2014
- Texas Dental Association Strategic Meeting Planning Task Force / 2004-2007
Comprehensive Post-Doctoral Continuing Education with a Key Focus on:
- Major Restorative and Implant Dentistry, Craniofacial Pain and TMJ Disorders, Sleep Disturbances relating to Sleep Bruxism, and Advanced Oral-Systemic Treatment Planning.
- Pursuing AGD Mastership Status – Have taken 4000+ hours of post-doctoral clinical courses
- Pursuing Diplomat Status in American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Comprehensive Continuum on Craniofacial Pain, TMD Disorders One Year Residency, University of Florida / 2007
- Sleep Medicine and Breathing Disorders Continuum, Drs. Jerald Simmons MD, James Metz, DDS 2010-2013
- Advanced Training Workshops: Sleep Disorders, Apnea, and Snoring Dysfunction, Dr. Keith Thornton
- Completed Advanced Restorative Treatment Planning Continuum, Pankey Institute for Advanced Dental Education
- Texas Institute Advanced Dental Studies, 6 Month Implant-Restorative Residency Program, Drs. Spear and Kois
- Advanced Strategic Planning Residency Program and Emotional Intelligence Leadership, Dr. Robert Frazer
- Advanced Aesthetic and Restorative Continuum, Texas Academy for Esthetic Dentistry, Dr. Bill Robbins / 2003- 2007
- Dr. John Kois Continuum Series on Advanced Aesthetics, Restorative Dentistry and Occlusion, Seattle / 2006-2009
Dr. Sheila Farahani
It is with a grateful heart that I am joining the team at Harmony Dental Wellness. I have the deepest respect for the relationships Dr. Steinberg has built with each of the patients here, and I look forward to meeting you, the patients, who he has come to call friends. If you are a new patient with us, let me welcome you and tell you a bit about me.
I found a love of science beginning in elementary school that persists today. Like Dr. Steinberg before me, I have a passion for learning as much as I can about how the body and the universe work. My favorite area of science is physics, which seems to be wearing off on my sons, Hunter and Logan, as they both are aspiring astronauts!
One of my other interests is the performing arts. I was a member of a touring musical theater group from age 5 to 12, and I still love a good musical. When I was 16, I moved to Seattle, WA. I studied biochemistry as an undergraduate and went on to study coral reef biology before earning a Master in Teaching degree. I feel that my teaching experience fits hand in hand with my dental degree to help me create a partnership with you where you are heard, understood and are an active participant in living your healthiest life. Other random interests of mine include rock climbing, swing dancing, and the flying trapeze.
With a passion for lifelong learning, I am regularly involved in continuing education courses. I don’t think of these courses as requirements for my license, but rather as opportunities to provide better care for you. In addition to my work in comprehensive preventive and cosmetic dentistry, an area of concentration in my career has been the treatment of dental anxiety. With a history of severe dental fear in my family, I have completed extensive training to provide accessibility for patients who avoid the dentist due to fear.
Looking forward to meeting you,
Sheila Farahani, DDS
About Dr. Farahani
Dr. Farahani received her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Washington. Throughout her career, she has studied across the country under some of the most respected practitioners including Dr. Gordon Christiensen, Dr. Martin Anderson, Dr. Mike Evans, Dr. Sami Dogan, Dr. Frank Spear, Dr. Susan Maples, and Dr. Dick Tucker Jr with the RV Tucker Study Clubs.
Dr. Farahani was also selected as Top Dentist in 2013 and 2014 in San Jose, CA before moving to Texas!
ADA, TDA, CADS, AGD, Seattle Study Clubs: Impact Austin, Austin Aligners
Areas of Continuing Education Dr. Farahani has completed in 2018
- Sleep Apnea and Snoring
- Veneers and Cosmetic Restorations
- Implant Restorations
- Cement and Bonding
- Bacterial Equilibrium
- Nutrition and the Oral-Systemic Link
- Pain Control
- Conservative Gold Restorations
- 3D Scanning and Digital Technology
- Periodontal Therapy
- Salivary Testing
Jeanne grew up in a military family, which means she considers many cities her hometown. She received her training at The University of San Francisco and The University of Washington. Jeanne enjoys taking care of patients and getting to know them on a personal level.
When she's not at the office, Jeanne enjoys traveling, gardening, and spending time with family and friends.
Patient Care Coordinator
Amy is originally from Illinois, but she's lived in Austin since 2003. She is one of the first faces you'll see when you visit Harmony Dental Wellness! She loves to make patients smile and enjoys using her talents to keep them healthy and happy.
In her free time, Amy loves hanging out with her son, Mason. You can also find her doing yoga, trying out new recipes, and entertaining her neighbors and friends.
Patient Care Coordinator
Mary is originally from Bowie, MD and has been in the dental industry for over 14 years. She truly enjoys the interactions she gets to have with patients each day!
When Mary is not at the office, she enjoys taking walks, shopping (especially estate sales), visiting family, and relaxing.
Marissa is originally from Ft. Wayne, IN and she has been in the dental industry since 2010. She enjoys working with a fantastic dental team, and she has a passion for educating her patients about their oral health.
In her spare time, Marissa loves taking her puppy on hikes and listening to live music from her favorite bands.
Jeannie was born and raised in Austin, TX, and she's been with the practice since 2008. Jeannie is committed to providing patients at Harmony Dental Wellness with the best care possible.
When she's not taking care of patients, Jeannie loves to spend time with her husband Bryan and her son Parker.
Lacey is originally from Katy, TX, and she's been in the dental industry for over 20 years. She loves to help patients enhance their well-being through dentistry.
When she has free time, Lacey spends it with her husband, daughter, and son. Her hobby is travel photography.
Janet is originally from Austin, TX. She is a relatively new face to our practice, but she has been in the field of dentistry for over 15 years. What Janet enjoys most about being a dental hygienist is meeting new people and educating them not only about their oral health, but also how it affects their overall health and well being.
When Janet is not taking care of patients, she enjoys spending time with family as well as gardening and bird watching.